Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Live Music, Film Emulation, This Time With the Leica M9

 
Will and Larry (of the Larry Keel Power Trio), by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Zeiss Sonnar C 50mm f1.5 Lens
iso 1600, f1.5, 1/125 sec.
 
I'm really having fun with this film emulation approach to my live music photography. Last week, I had the pleasure of seeing the Larry Keel Power Trio (aka Larry Keel Experience) twice. The image above is from the first show, at the Barns of Rose Hill in Berryville, Va.
 
I shot this image with my Leica M9, and used my Lightroom preset to emulate the contrast and grain of Ilford Delta 3200 film.
 
(Click Here) to read about my emulation settings in Lightroom.
 
I also saw the band a second time, in Washington, DC, over the weekend. For that show, I shot my Nikon D700, and used the same Lightroom settings to process the images. The preset works just as well with the D700 images.
 
For both shows, I also carried my Leica M4-2 (which I use for my "Dreaming in Monochrom(e)" series. I have two expose rolls of real Ilford Delta 3200 sitting next to me at my desk right now. So, I'll share those images in a week or so when I have results from the processing at The Darkroom (thedarkroom.com).
 
By the way, have a listen to the Keels. A quick search for "Larry Keel" on iTunes will get you plenty of results. I'd suggest the album "Classic" as a start.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment