Friday, March 21, 2014

Dreaming in Monochrom(e) - Taarka (Live Music) on Ilford Delta 3200 Film

I recently wrote about how I wanted to try Ilford Delta 3200 for my live music photography.
 
(Click Here) to read about what sent me in this direction.
 
Well, here are my first results, from a great show by the band Taarka at the Barns of Rose Hill in Berryville, Virginia, on March 1, 2014.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I shot all of these with my Leica M4-2 (ca. 1978) and Zeiss Sonnar C 50mm f1.5 lens. On some of them I use just a tiny touch of fill flash (1/32 power on the compact Nikon SB30 flash). The shot immediately above is one of those. It helped to fill in some of the shadows.
 
I exposed all of these as if the Delta 3200 were rated at iso 1600, and had them developed by The Darkroom (thedarkroom.com) normally (as if shot at 3200). This decision was based on my previous experience with Delta 3200, where my negatives were a bit thin when shot at 3200. I found lots of references to shooting it this way (at 1600), and I agree.
 
So, how does Delta 3200 compare to Kodak TMax 400 pushed two stops to iso 1600? I think it did help me to tame the extreme high contrast of pushing TMax 400, which was one of my goals. The grain is more pronounced with Delta 3200, but I kind of like it. So, as far as I'm concerned, this experiment was a success. I'll certainly be shooting more Delta 3200.
 
(Click Here) to see how I've made presets in Lightroom to emulate Delta 3200 in my Leica M9 shots.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment