Monday, March 24, 2014

The Joy of a Film Leica Rangefinder

Yoko Ono's Tree, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Summicron 50mm f2 Lens
 
If you know me, you know that I love to shoot Leica rangefinders. And, I love to shoot film.
 
Having read a post by Rikard Landberg on Steve Huff's site, I just felt the need to find an old film Leica image and share it. Mr. Landberg writes of his experience of selling off all of his digital (Canon) gear and shooting film only for a year.
 
(Click Here) to read Mr. Landberg's post on Steve Huff Photo.
 
While I don't find it necessary to be exclusive of digital (or exclusive of anything in particular) in my photography, I do appreciate the narrowing of variables and focus on attention and concentration that Rikard discusses in his post.
 
He shoots Kodak TMax 400 film, usually at iso 1600, which leads to the high contrast you'll see in his shots there. I like the look. However, I also notice that all of his images have extremely large depth of field. This is likely due to the need to shoot at small apertures while shooting at iso 1600 outdoors. Not really a problem, but as you can see in my image above, I like to take advantage of very shallow depth of field in some cases. For me, if I had to pick a single iso to shoot at (thank goodness I don't), it would probably be 400.
 
 
If you're wondering, the note just left of center in the image of Yoko Ono's tree, above, says:
 
"I wish I was happy and no one I love feels sad."
That's a pretty noble wish.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment