Friday, June 22, 2012

Digital Photography School Reports 37% of Readers Shoot Film

Digital Photography School (digital-photography-school.com) recently ran a survey and found that 37% of respondents shoot film.
Image Source: http://digital-photography-school.com/37-of-dps-readers-still-shoot-with-film?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DigitalPhotographySchool+%28Digital+Photography+School%29
 
(Click Here) to see the original post, and some interesting comments.
 
I am encouraged by the fact that I'm not the only one out there that still shoots film. Funny, now that I think about it, I have three film bodies with me today, loaded and ready to go. Now, to be clear, that's not normal for me. I've just repaired two old Zeiss cameras, and am testing them out, plus I have a new toy to test out. More on that one later.
 
My film usage has dropped a lot this year, mostly because I've been leaning toward my Lumix cameras more, for the purposes of this blog. But, as you've seen if you keep up with my blog, I have been dragging out some good old film gear lately.
 
One commenter asked how many people responded to the above-referenced survey; I would like to know that as well. The high percentage of film users could be due to sampling error, if there weren't very many respondents. It is hard to imagine that 15% of readers of a blog, who must have access to the web in order to read and respond, shoot film exclusively. If they have a computer, digital photography has almost no barrier to entry, including cost. Even if they only read on a smart phone, they have a digital camera in-hand, in their phone, as they read.
 
Potential lack of statistical strength aside, I choose to take the results positively, hoping this will mean continued availability of film and processing for a long time to come. Fingers crossed.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment