Saturday, June 16, 2012

Olympus E-PL1, 14-150, and Lumix 20mm f1.7 Go On A Trip

 
Image Source: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1896778&posted=1#post1896778

User ywenz on Rangefinder Forum posted a gorgeous series of pictures from a recent trip.

(Click Here) to look at all of them. You owe it to yourself to see the other shots, in addition to the one above.

One interesting thing here is that all of the images are jpegs (not shot in raw format). There is a group out there of the opinion that Panasonic Lumix Micro 4/3 cameras don't produce acceptable jpeg images. Therefore, many (most?) shoot in raw format.

I always use raw, just in case I screw something up, like forgetting to change my white balance settings. It has happened. As I have written before, however, I don't like to spend more time than necessary post-processing my images. So, I've been trying different jpeg settings, in the hopes that when I shoot both raw and jpeg together, the jpeg will be acceptable for use, and the raw file will be there just in case.

I have posted a couple of others' ideas for ideal jpeg settings in the past. My latest post on the subject yielded settings that I'm now quite happy with.

(Click Here) to see the post with my favorite jpeg settings for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, contributed by dixeyk on mu-43.com. These are now my standard jpeg settings, and are set up as a custom profile on both of my G3s. They're pretty good, in my opinion. Give them a try.

When I was primarily a Nikon shooter, I always chose very neutral jpeg settings (easy on the contrast, saturation, and sharpening), figuring that I could add all of those things back later, but cannot subtract them. The settings suggested in the post referenced above are very similar. Here's an example, pretty much right out of the camera.
Manassas Memorial, by Reed A. George
Panasonic DMC-G3, Lumix 14-140 f4-5.8 at 95mm
iso160, f5.8, 1/640 sec

I find that there's plenty of saturation here, contrast is well-controlled, and sharpness doesn't suffer.

DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment