Sunday, September 1, 2013

Huffington Post Reports on Wayne Lawrence's Photo Project - Orchard Beach

by Wayne Lawrence
Image Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/20/bronx-riviera_n_3781903.html?ref=topbar
 
Wayne Lawrence has produced a striking set of portraits of New Yorkers at the beach, Orchard Beach, in Pelham Bay Park in NYC.
 
(Click Here) to read about the project and see several more images on Huffington Post. The images will be shown at teh Bronx Museum, starting in October, 2013. There is also a book planned.
 
I think this project is really cool. Clearly Mr. Lawrence spoke to his subjects, got their permission, and posed them at some level. I feel that these images capture our current time very well. It is also rather clear that Lawrence uses fill flash, but that doesn't take away from the images.
 
When I think of these images, my mind goes to the historic pictures at Coney Island, capturing a glimpse of not only the people on the beach, but of the time.
 
(Click Here) to see some of Harold Feinstein's historic pictures of Coney Island.
 
I'm heading to the beach next week - I hope this will inspire me to take some different pictures.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment