Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Do I Feel A Renewed Emphasis on Lumix Coming On?

Video Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNSZcTn2Pqo&sns=em
 
The newly-announced Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 certainly has my interest. The features that attract me most are:
 
  1. Improved high iso performance, reportedly as good as, or maybe better than the Olympus OM-D, which has been the Micro 4/3 benchmark so far.
  2. Focus peaking, to allow you to see when your manual focus setting is correct. Should be great for using legacy lenses with adapters.
  3. Built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF) in a very compact body.
  4. Silent shutter - I love that my smaller DMC-LX7 makes zero noise when I trip the shutter.
This year, I have been focused on two things - my Leica M9, and using some of the older film camera treasures in my closet. Both have been great fun, and I will continue at least through this year. Last year, I focused mainly on Panasonic and Micro 4/3. I am considering what to do next year. Current possibilities include more emphasis on film, and picking one camera from each of my favorite types (rangefinder, SLR, folder, etc.) and shooting with that set throughout the year. I'm undecided, but really kind of like the second idea. I have a few months to decide.
 
In any case, the DMC-GX7 is a welcome addition to the Lumix family. I will give it some time to see how people like it in real use before thinking about getting one.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment