Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Fishing Camera - Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 - Strikes Again

I got out in my kayak for a couple of hours this weekend. I have a nice reservoir near my home, and have fished it a few times, never catching anything of any size. This time, I caught a nice smallmouth bass. Or was it a largemouth? A friend and I have been debating that back and forth. Every fisherman will have an opinion.
 
 
 
Smallmouth(?) Bass, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 325, 160, 125 (in same order as photos), f3.3, 1/250 sec.
 
The TS5 works great for this kind of shooting. In the kayak, fish on the line, I'm able to quickly open my waterproof bag and pull out the TS5. In iAuto mode, all I have to do is turn the power on and shoot. It autofocuses quite nicely for these types of shots.
 
I always want to take those cool images where the lens is partially underwater, partially above. That is particularly difficult with the TS5, as the lens element is so small, it's difficult to position it correctly to capture the water line.
 
Here's the smallmouth above the surface. My friend and I agree that he looks more like a largemouth in this picture:
 
Smallmouth(?) Bass, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 200, f3.3, 1/640 sec.
 
In all, I caught six fish - two smallmouth bass (the second was quite small, but more clearly a smallmouth), three white bass (all small) and one crappie (small). This was the first crappie I've ever caught in this particular reservoir. Here's what it looked like:
 
Crappie, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 100, f3.3, 1/125 sec.
 
I was tempted to stay and fish a while longer, but sunset came and went, and it was time to go.
 
Reservoir Sunset, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 160, f3.3, 1/800 sec.
 
I notice that iAuto mode on the TS5 seems to choose f3.3 often. I suppose with such a small sensor, getting enough depth of field is never an issue. I'm quite impressed with this little camera.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment