Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Autumn Leaves in Motion

Autumn is coming slowly here in Northern Virginia this year, or at least it feels that way. Lots of browns amongst the yellow and orange trees.
 
I was out playing around with my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 yesterday, and decided to put some motion into my images. Nothing new here, but I think they're interesting. I started by putting the camera on shutter priority exposure (S), picking the lowest speed I could use without serious overexposure. First, I tried moving the camera linearly, upward, to follow the lines of the trees.
 
 
Leaves in Motion 1, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, 14-42mm Series II Kit Zoom
iso 200, f22, 1/6 sec.
 
This first shot has a little mood to it, I think. While the sky was actually completely clear and blue, the blur gives it a little feel of fog. I think there are multiple smaller images within this one. I could imagine cropping to just the lower 1/3 of the image, for example. Actually, I can see three images, each 1/3 of the vertical height of the original. I think I'll give that a try.
 
Here's another with upward movement, this time with some branches that go off the vertical quite a bit.
 
Leaves in Motion 2, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, 14-42mm Series II Kit Zoom
iso 200, f22, 1/6 sec.
 
Then, I started rotating the camera around different centers in the image. Here are my three favorites:
 
Leaves in Motion 3, 4, 5, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, 14-42mm Series II Kit Zoom
iso 200, f22, 1/6 sec.
 
I realize that these are the first images I've shared from the new GX7, and they don't help much if you're trying to see the capabilities of the camera or new kit lens. I promise to share some sharp, more traditional images soon. But for now, I can say that I am enjoying the new camera, and the lens is quite impressive for what it is.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment