Saturday, July 27, 2013

Barcelona - A Changing City, Wonderful Place to Photograph

 
Glimpse of a Memory in Barcelona, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Holga Micro 4/3 Lens
 
I read an article by Beatriz Silva on the blog Theme today, about how Barcelona is changing. Beatriz is a Chilean photographer, living in Barcelona.
 
(Click Here) to read the piece on Photography Daily Theme.
 
Silva makes the case that while Barcelona is one of the richest cities in Spain, the European financial crisis is taking its toll. Poverty and homelessness are high, and on the rise. There is also a cultural loss going on in Barcelona, with the example being bookstores giving way to McDonalds. That is happening everywhere. In fact, I don't have a bookstore within a 20 mile radius of my home in Northern Virginia anymore. Amazing.
 
In any case, I visited Barcelona last November, and just really loved it. It is a photographer's dream. While I shot my Lumix DMC-G3s a lot, I also did a series of evening street shots with my Leica CL and 40mm Rokkor f2. I've submitted these for publication in the LHSA (International Leica Society) magazine, The Viewfinder. They're accepted, and will be published in the next issue!
 
If you get the chance to go to Barcelona, take it. So much culture, history, and style in one place.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment