Saturday, July 13, 2013

Travel Photography - Thoughts By Ming Thein and Me

Ming Thein has a nice blog entry about how travel photography works for him. In order to respect Ming's "All Rights Reserved" statement on his images, I'm not linking to one here.
 
(Click Here) to go to Ming's blog, read his thoughts on travel photography, and see his images.
 
A few things that strike me about Ming's piece are 1) his photo count and hit rate from recent trips, 2) his belief that the first day in a new place is usually wasted on overload from new stimulation, and 3) that travel photographs ideally show how you feel about a place, rather than how it looks.
 
I am writing this blog entry from Key West, where my family and I are vacationing for a long weekend. We arrived at 5:30AM today. Since it was so close to sunrise, I stayed up and shot the sunrise. Here's a shot I made:
 
Key West Sunrise, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 400, f3.3 1/60 sec
 
I decided that Ming may be right. The shots I thought would be great this morning are just so-so now. But, I'm weird about this. I may learn to like them again later.
 
I've been shooting my new DMC-TS5 a lot today. Here's a shot from later in the day:
Distance, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5
iso 400, f3.3 1/60 sec
 
This one does say a little about how I feel about the place. I am feeling far from home at the moment, which is indicated by the top sign, the distance to Washington, DC.
I'm not sure if I'll like either of these later on, but I kind of like them now. Time for bed.
 
Hopefully I'll make some images I definitely like tomorrow.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment