Friday, December 21, 2012

Diptych - Barcelona

 
Barcelona Couple, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Holga 25mm f8 Plastic Lens
iso 400, f8, 1/100 sec
 
You may have already seen my previous post of shots taken with the Holga plastic lens for Micro 4/3 cameras. The two above give me fond memories of walking "La Rambla," a major pedestrian thoroughfare in Barcelona. I shot these two shots seconds apart, as I walked past this couple at the subway station.
 
I pay attention to the pace of my shooting. Sometimes, I really enjoy taking a lot of time, setting up a shot, attempting perfection. I find that style of shooting relaxing and rewarding. On the opposite end, another of my favorite styles is street shooting, where I typically set the camera up with manual range focusing (no autofocus), preset exposure (sometimes I'll use Aperture priority, but use Manual more often than not), and use the camera to capture extremely brief little moments. This is a real challenge, and there's no time for fiddling with the camera. The result is just that - captured moments. Imperfect, spontaneous. Sometimes the imperfections add to the image, sometimes not.
 
In the case above, the imperfections are clear - thanks to using a $20 plastic lens with fixed f-stop and only very rough focus control. Personally, I love the result. It is very close to the level of detail in my memories of that morning, walking down La Rambla.
 
Thanks again to Andrea Costa for pointing me towards this great creative tool (the Holga lens).
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

2 comments:

  1. George, nice to see that you're putting that expensive piece of equipment at good use - it's perfect for improptu shots of something that has stiken your fancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's actually a lot of fun. It's good to drop the pretense and use basic equipment sometimes.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete