Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This Charges Me Up For My Upcoming Trip to Barcelona!

 
Barcelona (Placa Catalunya) by jky on rangefinder forum
 
Member jky on rangefinderforum posted three excellent images from a recent trip to Barcelona.
 
(Click Here) to see them all.
 
I will be leaving for Barcelona for a family vacation, about a week from when I'm writing this post. I'm excited about street shooting there.
 
We usually end up going back to one of our favorite places on family vacations, and decided to do something really different this time. This will be a challenge trip for us, as we don't speak the language. But, we're very excited to meet nice people, eat great food, enjoy Gaudi' architecture, and anything else that comes our way.
 
I've read that theft can be a real problem, especially in the tourist areas. I'm thinking that I won't take my most expensive camera (Leica M9), even though it pains me to leave it at home. I'm also pretty sure that Barcelona is far safer than New York City, where I have used my Leica gear in the past.
 
That said, my Micro 4/3 kit of two Lumix DMC-G3 bodies will give me more flexibility anyway, and I won't commit suicide if anything goes missing. I won't like it, but I'll recover. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll take the two G3 bodies, and maybe only a couple of lenses - the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and Lumix 14-140mm f3.5-5.8 zoom. The zoom will give me awesome range in a single lens, including enough telephoto reach for external architecture shots. The 20mm is tiny and fast. Of course, I'm sure the lens list will grow before I get on the plane. Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll throw in the diminutive Lumix DMC-LX5 as well. It weighs nothing, and takes up very little space. I will also take a 35mm optical finder to use the LX5 for street shooting.
 
What do you think? Is this too minimal?
 
I'm getting psyched for this trip...
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit and photograph. As for equipment in my last trips I have taken only one camera and a tele lens. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the trip, Reed. Try your best to stick to just the two lenses you mention. Very good idea to include the LX5, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement on minimal packing, from both James and Luis. I'm still having a hard time deciding to leave the M9 at home (checked with my insurance company, and it's covered for my trip, with a deductible). I also have a test pack loaded up today with two G3s, and primes (14, 20, 45, and a Canon LTM 135 f3.5 for architecture shots). Going back and forth about one zoom versus several primes. The weight is about the same, but the zoom allows less lens swapping. Ah, what a great problem to have! If I were walking out the door today, it would be as I mentioned originally - 14-140 zoom, 20mm f1.7, two G3 bodies, and the LX5.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete